5 things business owners must do to protect their computer system
Technology is an incredible tool for any business. However, if you are not using or protecting your computer systems properly, you might be putting your business at significant risk of suffering lost time and dollars.
If you are a small to medium sized enterprise, with a business computer system in place, here are five things you must do:
- Set recovery goals. So many businesses underestimate just how important their data backup and restore systems are. We recommend creating backups daily using reliable and automated software. Some businesses may want to keep monthly archives as well. You must monitor it regularly to check that it’s working.
- Do your updates. Making sure that automatic updates is configured properly so that all your software updates and patches occur regularly and at a time that is convenient to your business is very important. Installing updates can prevent unexpected down time and ensure your system is running at its optimum.
- Have a back up power supply. An Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) is critical. Also, make sure the electrical cabling is right. It’s no good having all the equipment there and not having it wired in correctly. A UPS protects your computer system from power outages, brownouts and power surges. Be warned, cheap and inferior systems are not reliable or recommended. In fact, some of them can do more harm than good. Make sure it has genuine surge protection, and can output a pure sine wave when operating on battery power. If your system is large enough you may even consider a standby generator, in conjunction with a UPS.
- Put in a firewall. If you have more than five computers it is worth investing in a Unified Threat Management (UTM) appliance. This is usually a piece of hardware that keeps intruders out of your network. It can block inbound spam emails, handle malicious attacks and can be configured to improve the performance and reliability of your network. Again, if you go for a cheap option, you’ll only get cheap protection. Make sure your UTM appliance is a good, well-known brand.
- Get advice. If you are ever in doubt about a software or hardware upgrade, how to achieve computer efficiencies, or have security concerns, seek professional help. Computer systems are like a vital organ that keeps your business running, so it’s essential that you seek expert advice to make sure you are maintaining top computer health!